2011年8月21日星期日

Elleon's Journal daily life

More gut-emptying pegasus rides. Kyrisha the botanist turned me down (teaching commitment), but Belevrus the anatomist said yes. Mysterium teleporters sent me to Allemantheia, where I recruited Jehan as our botanist. He's no Kyrisha, but his academics look solid.

Since I'm in Allemantheia, I should visit Mirene. She doesn't know about the island, the expedition, my brother...anything. Deep breaths, Ell. I'm walking slower with each step toward Mirene's villa. "Not only am I not back for you, but I'm going to an island..." is a tough talk. Mirene at the doorway: A flash of joy across her face, then sorrow as our eyes meet. Feels like someone slammed a door in my face.

Our conversation is brief, overly formal, and festooned with pleasantries. Mirene doesn't reveal a thing, and I leave both sad and puzzled. I walk back toward the Mysterium, seeking a teleport back to Arun. I'm reliving the entire breakup, but I wonder about that brief smile.

The teleport master, Enithus, takes one look at my papers and says, "I know you." I brace myself for another round of no-that's-my-brother. Enithus is interested in me, though, not Kubel. He talks a mile a minute about my recent studies and how they inspired his scholarship. When Enithus touts his long-range teleportation research, it all becomes clear. He's heard about the expedition (how?), and he wants a job.

I've never heard of this guy, but I have to admit--his enthusiasm is contagious. And I know enough teleport theory...he's not a crackpot. Can I hire him? Sure--I have unfettered authority for that. Should I hire him? Rationally, no, but there's an expectant look in his eyes...

Enithus is on the team. Did I just hire a total stranger with scant academic credentials after a single talk? Yes. Will I regret it? Hmm. Enithus (who's already calling me "Magister") teleports me to the Celestial Hills. I plan to abscond with someone else's dig team. Politely.

In theory, my brother's soldiers will help with excavation on the island. But soldiers are good at making ruins, not preserving them. Five years ago, I studied the runes carved on the ancient menhirs here. I went into academia, but the Celestial Hills project continues. My friends are too polite to ask why I'm visiting, but we talk archeology over the campfire: recent finds, new theories, and so forth.

没有评论:

发表评论